Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wait...I See Two Heads!

That's right! I said two. Allan and I had the first ultrasound at 9.5 weeks. The ultrasound tech found a little grape-sized baby, measured it, and checked its heartbeat. We listened to it and watched it move around a little. The tech moved the device to get a better shot. Then I saw it. The other one. Two at the same time. I thought "wait...I see two heads!" Not a split second went by before the tech said calmly with a hint of surprise, "Aaaaaand it looks like you're having twins."

Huh?

Allan had been telling everyone, "Wouldn't it be so cool if we had twins? I want twin boys." Of course, I laughed at him and told him he would have to get up with me in the middle of the night. Ha...ha...ha.

I immediately looked at Allan, and he had the same face as the first time I told him we were pregnant...wide eyed, eyebrows raised, and a slight grin. As if the pregnancy in the first place wasn't shocking enough! We watched the two babies interact, each with a flickering little heartbeat. They were swimming around with their spastic legs and arms, then they would reach out to each other. What a precious sight. I could have watched it all day. I still look at the sonograms in awe of God's handiwork.

To tell you the truth, Allan and I were not ready for this pregnancy. But when God has a plan, He gets his way. The fact that we have twins is reassuring that God really wants us to have children right now. Now we are absolutely thrilled!! We are so ready for this new adventure. We have no idea what our lives will be like from now on, but that's exactly why it is an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment