Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ready or Not

33 weeks. I keep saying that I am ready to not be pregnant anymore. While that is still true, I am naturally terrified of childbirth, c-section or not. Right now, both babies are head down, and they are handling contractions well so far. So a natural childbirth could be more likely than a c-section. The more I think about that, the more nervous I become about giving birth to two babies. On the other hand, I have never had surgery, and I watch too many medical dramas on t.v. I'm afraid of getting my bladder sliced open or something. Haha.

I don't think I'm any more terrified than other high-risk, first-time mothers of multiples here. There are two very young (late teens) moms on this floor with twins in a high-risk situation. They have it worse off than I do. One mom also has identical twin girls. She has been in pre-term labor and on bed rest for almost her entire pregnancy. Another young mom (2 days ahead of me) has boy/girl fraternal twins. They also have intermittent absent flow and IUGR. She is also in here for pre-term labor. When I was coming back to my room a couple days ago, I saw a family gathered around a new patient's door. A woman and a girl had been crying. Again, they all are in an obviously more unfortunate situation than mine. I was talking with a food service lady today, and she said there is a woman in this hospital who has been here for 2 years under special care. And here I am complaining about being locked up in this place.

Well, here's a little update on the babies. The dopplers are still reading "intermittent absent flow" which basically means the blood flow fluctuates between absent and elevated. I don't know the proper medical terms. They are growing though! On Thursday, June 25, the babies weighed:

Baby A: 4 lbs 5 ozs
Baby B: 2 lbs 13 ozs

I assume they've gained 3 ounces by now, making A=4.5 lbs, and B=3 lbs. Keep growing babies! There is a chance that the babies will not end up in the same nursery, Baby B could go to Riley and the other could stay here...or Baby A would go home earlier than Baby B. It all depends on when they are born, how much weight they gain, or if there are any other complications that arise during or after birth. There is no straight answer about anything right now. They could come any day since I am now over the "average" time frame of when mothers of twins give birth. Ah! The suspense! I am so scared, but so excited to meet our babies!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melody- this is Don Torrance's sister, Angela. Maggie told me about your blog and it is so cute! Congratulations on your twin girls. The girls, Allan, and you are in our prayers. It sounds like you are doing such a good job of being a momma already:) I had a c-section and I was very nervous. From the second they started operating I went into great detail talking to my husband, the anesthesiologist, and my dr (anyone who would listen) about the last vacation we went on. I was so wrapped up into it that I didn't realize what was going on until Isaac cried (the best moment ever). The distraction helped alot.
    I look forward to hearing about the girls arrival. Take care...you are so close!

    ReplyDelete